JACKSON COUNTY, MI – Scammers claiming to work for the Jackson County Health Department are phishing to obtain personal information from elderly Medicare beneficiaries, officials say.
The Jackson County Health Department issued an alert on Thursday, September 16, warning residents of the scam after receiving multiple reports of someone calling and leaving messages on residents’ phones inquiring about their requests health insurance.
The scam appears to target elderly residents of Macomb County, although it is suspected that they are also targeting other communities, officials said.
The health department does not call or leave a message requesting health insurance information and warns residents to never provide personal information, such as a social security number, to anyone over the phone, said people. responsible.
If any of these scammers call them, authorities are asking residents to try and get the caller to identify themselves and get as much information as possible, including a name and number, and call him back. report to the police by calling 911.
Anyone who is unsure whether a call from the Jackson County Health Department is legitimate or not can call the department’s main number at 517-788-4420.
Authorities are also reminding residents who receive questionable phone calls that:
– You have not won a free boat trip
– No one is trying to call you about your car warranty
– You did not fail to appear for jury duty and an arrest warrant was issued against you
– Police do not call to ask for gift cards to pay for a pending money order
– No one from the Social Security Administration tries to contact you to verify your information
– The IRS also does not try to verify your information over the phone.
– Technical support does not call to help you resolve a problem with your computer
– Amazon does not call to verify your credit card information to complete an order.
More from MLive:
New $ 12 Million Pool Provides Jackson Public Schools with ‘World Class’ Facility for Teaching and Competition
Petition demands impeachment of Albion College president for alleged intimidation and racism
Michigan Chef Named on Food & Wine Best New Chefs List